Wednesday, July 28, 2010

What's the word count?

At FGCU, we're required to take four Gordon Rule Writing classes.  Two of those classes are Comp I & Comp II, and another is Colloquium.  Basically, you have to take 1 non-required Gordon Rule class.  You're required to write 6,000 words in a Gordon Rule writing class, but I've noticed that many times you do more than that.

This summer I took Colloquium and Foundations of Civic Engagement.  Even though Civic Engagement isn't considered a Gordon Rule class, I seemed to do more writing in that class then in Colloquium.  I decided to add up the word counts from all of my papers, journals, and discussion forums from both classes.  I was amazed at the results.

Colloquium: 10,113 words
Civic Engagement: 13,729 words

Yes, you read that right.  I wrote nearly 24,000 words in six weeks during my two summer classes.  Honestly, they might as well consider Civic Engagement a writing intensive, Gordon Rule class.

If I can handle these two classes in six weeks, I can definitely handle two Gordon Rule classes in a 16-week semester.

Let's see if any more writing classes are open for the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment