Saturday, April 23, 2011

Best and Worst Advice

Last week, I received the best and worst advice of my college career: Don't get a Master's degree in public relations.

With the job market being extremely tough, there are 12,000 people looking for a job for every one position.  During these difficult times, it's important for applicants to diversify themselves.  Basically, applicants need to be able to do more than one thing.  They need to have experiences in a wide range of areas.  Not only will they be better qualified for a job in their "top choice" career, but they'll have a back-up plan.

Getting a BA in Communication/PR AND a Master's in PR wouldn't do anything for my career.  So it's important for me to look elsewhere.

Why it's the worst advice: I've spent all year searching for Master's programs in public relations, and I've finally picked my "top 5."  I've fallen in love with all of these schools, and I would have been happy going to any of them.  These schools are the best of the best and their grad programs are just what I'm looking for.  The schools? New York University, George Washington University, University of Houston, University of Alabama, and University of Miami.

Why it's the best advice: At least I learned it now before it's too late.  Plus, getting a degree in Advertising or Journalism will help me to diversify myself so I'll have many different qualifications.  It's giving me more options in my internships and in my future.

I'm not going to lie: I'm bummed out.  I'm starting again at square one.  But at least it will be a bonus for my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment