Thursday, January 28, 2010

Chi Omega

My new member experience in Chi Omega is quickly coming to a close. In 25 hours, I will begin the official initiation process. I feel like now is the appropriate time to reflect on my new member experience over the past 4 months.

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't want to be in Chi Omega. I went into recruitment saying, "if I get into Chi Omega, I'm not joining. I'll be happy anywhere but Chi Omega." It wasn't until Preference night that I fell in love with Chi Omega. There was something about the sorority that night that stood out to me. I think it was the bonds they had with each other and the love they had for Chi Omega. They were all so diverse and yet they all had a common bond. I knew that night that I wanted to be a Chi Omega. And on bid day, when I received a bid from them, I couldn't have been any happier.

It feels like bid day was just yesterday. I remember meeting a bunch of the actives and sharing the excitement with my fellow baby hooties. I remember taking a bunch of pictures with the other babies and then with the entire chapter. During our chapter pictures, everything just felt right.

Clue week was one of the most nerve-wracking weeks ever! I would stay in my dorm as long as I could just waiting for the clues from my Big. As I got each of the clues, I fell in love with her more and more...even though I could never guess who she was. I kept saying, "these aren't clues!" But it wasn't until after Big/Little Revelation that I realized what all of the clues meant. I still feel so stupid for not realizing it was Sarah. I wanted her to be my Big all along, and when I ran through that tunnel at Revelation and I saw her at the end, I was the happiest girl in the world. I hugged her for what seemed like forever, and I started to cry. Her and I have become close over the past few months, and our bond will only continue to grow stronger. I love her to death, and I couldn't have asked for a better, more incredible Big. She is without a doubt the best gift I've received this year.

Classy Chi-O Connections was when I really opened up to my future sisters. During the candle pass, I shared a big secret I had been hiding. I received so many hugs and words of support that night, and that's the night that I was reminded why I joined Chi Omega. It was also the night where I really started bonding with a lot of the girls. These girls are still the ones that I know I can always go to, and their love and support seriously means everything to me. I realized that I have a family in Chi Omega, and I couldn't imagine my life without it.

Over the past 2 days of prelude, I was reminded that my pledge class is a family within a family. We may not all hang out and talk, but we all love each other. We're all in this together. The nerves, anticipation, and excitement are all things that each and every one of us can relate to.

Through all of the new member meetings, socials, and random run-ins across campus, I've bonded with the beautiful ladies of Chi Omega. They may not officially be my sisters, but I consider each and every one of them my sister already. They're my family, and when everything else is falling apart, they're still here. I laugh with them and cry with them. I'm myself with them. I would be absolutely lost without them.

I'm a Student Government Senator.
I'm a Jersey Girl.
I'm a philanthropist.
I'm a lover, not a fighter.
I AM A CHI OMEGA.

No comments:

Post a Comment