Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Thought of the Day

My twitter feed has been blowing up lately with criticisms about tons of different things - musical artists, TV shows, roommates, friends, etc.  I understand that things get overwhelming at times and there are things that you just can't stand.  And hey, if you can't say what you're thinking then what's the point of Twitter?  Trust me, I get it.  But when all you do is criticize other people, there's a problem.  And if you can't handle the criticism when it's about you or something then you find important, then you have an even bigger problem.

The great thing about human beings is that no two people are exactly alike.  We all have different tastes in TV shows and music.  We value different things in people.  But at the same time, each of us has something in common with another person.  Yes, differences can drive people apart.  But common interests bring us together and help us form relationships with others.

Why do you think certain musical artists climb the charts?  Because hundreds of thousands of individuals are attracted to that artist.  At the same time, there are probably the same amount of people that hate that artist.  Take Justin Bieber.  He's sold hundreds of thousands (possibly even millions) of albums.  He's one of the biggest artists on the music scene today.  Yet, there are so many people who can't stand him.  But guess what?  It doesn't change the fact that he's successful or that people love him.

I understand that there are things that just get under your skin.  It happens to me too.  There are things that people RAVE about that I simply cannot stand.  But I know that if I'm going to dish it out, I better be ready to take it.  So if I'm going to sit here and say that the Red Sox are the worst baseball team in history, then I better be able to handle it when people say that the Yankees have paid there way to 27 World Series wins (a real conversation, by the way).

Just because you think that something is stupid or worthless doesn't mean it's not important or awesome to someone else.  If you're going to talk trash about things you hate, you better be able to handle criticism about the things that are most important to you.  Because if you can't, then shut the hell up.  I'm sick of people criticizing others when they can't handle the criticism themselves.  Grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment