Thursday, December 22, 2011

Day 5: Reflection

As this trip draws to a close, I'm taking time to reflect on this week. The highs and the lows. The lessons and the memories. Absolutely everything.

One of the biggest things I'll take away from this trip is the fact that there are still good people in the world. The people we met were so welcoming and appreciative of everything we were doing here. The people on this trip have such a passion for making a difference in this world. Not many people would take a week out of their winter break to volunteer. But we did. And we had a great time doing it.

I learned so much about the issues that affect Mississippi. I had no idea how much Mississippi was affected by Katrina, but learning about it was so eye-opening. Learning how educational inequality and poverty affected this area was evident in all of the volunteering we did. It made me want to do something. It sparked a light in me to help change the world.

I have so many amazing memories, and I never imagined how much fun I could have in five days. But in those same five days, I learned and grew. And I'm coming back to FGCU a better person. A more confident leader. A more appreciative individual. And a passion to make a difference.

I'm coming back with a new outlook on Mississippi and the South in general. I don't know where in this world I'll end up, but I hope my journeys bring me back here.

Alternative Fall Break 2011. Biloxi, Mississippi. It's been real.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Christina,

    Just wanted to wish you and your family a Merry Chritmas. I hope all is well with you. I'm glad you enjoyed alt break. So what did you get with the gift card?

    Inspired Reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspired Reader,
    I hope you had a great Christmas as well!! I ended up buying a little bit of everything. I bought a few of Javier Colon's songs as well as other songs that I've been obsessed with for awhile. I still have some money left from the gift card and I'm waiting to see what other songs I want to buy. Thanks again :)

    -Christina

    ReplyDelete