Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Day 3: Breaking Barriers

Sometimes I forget that Hurricane Katrina affected more than just New Orleans. Through this demolition project, I was constantly reminded of the reality that many gulf coast Mississippi residents face. It's been an eye opening experience...but also one full of rewards.

Today was full of pushing limits and breaking barriers. I did things I was good at and things I never imagined I could do. I swept dust off the floors, tore up wood floors, and hammered the crap out of wood panels. I took out my anger and frustrations, but proved to myself that I'm capable of much more than I think.

My high was taking a hammer and smacking the crap out of wood to break it from the beam. It was a thrilling experience...and the best stress reliever. My low was injuring my shoulder and realizing that I had to stop. I push myself in everything I do, but when it comes to my health I don't take risks. It was a setback, but I'm appreciative of everything that happened before that moment.

A local news station came today and filmed us on site, and it ended up on the local news in Biloxi (WLOX). It was a really cool experience and unlike anything that's ever happened to me.  While watching the news later that night, we saw ourselves on TV...and there is even a segment of me hammering wood panels :)

At the beginning of the day, one of the owners of the house came over to us and we all gave her a group hug. At the end, I heard her say, "thanks, I needed that." It reminded me why we were here. It's not simply to tear down a house so they can build a new one. It's to make a difference in the lives of people. We're here for the people...and the experience too.

No comments:

Post a Comment