Monday, June 14, 2010

One decision can in fact change everything

As a Student Government representative, it's my job to listen to the opinions of the student body.  With the current situation in Student Government, EVERYONE has an opinion, and they make sure that I know their opinion.  I'm all for listening to the students, but to be honest, it's become extremely overwhelming.  This whole thing has stressed me out beyond belief, and I really can't handle it much longer.  Come tomorrow night, the decisions will be made.  There's no changing those decisions.  But that won't stop people from continuing to talk.  And either way, some people won't be happy.

When I joined Senate, I knew that the decisions I made would be questioned.  People would always ask "why did you vote against this?" or "why did you vote for that?"  I was prepared to defend my decisions and explain myself to students.  But I never thought that my values as a human being would questioned.  Over the past week, people have questioned what kind of person I am for the opinion that I have.  Friends have told me that they wouldn't want to be my friend if I voted to impeach one of their friends.

Right now I have to put aside my friendships with people and vote based on what I think is right.  That's hard for a lot of people to understand...including the people involved.  I am friends with every single person going through this impeachment process, and the decisions that I make won't be personal.  Despite what some of the people involved and students believe, I have absolutely nothing to gain by this.  In fact, I truly do have everything to do.  These are my friends and regardless of the decisions I make, I fear that I will lose some of them.  In fact, I think I already have.  It weighs heavily on my heart and is not something I am happy about, but we need to be held accountable for our actions.  It's something we talked about at Flight School, and the majority of us believed that as SG representatives we need to hold ourselves to higher standards and be held accountable for what we do.

No matter what happens tomorrow night, reputations have been shattered.  All of us in Student Government are going to be seen in a different light - whether we're the one's being accused, the accusers, the ones voting (Senators), members of the Executive Branch, or members of the Judicial Branch.  Things are going to be different from now on.  Tomorrow night will determine how different things will really be.

As for my decision - If I can look in the mirror tomorrow night and be happy with the person staring back at me, then I'll know that I've made the right choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment