Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I'm back! :)

Hello blogging world! I'm back from my cruise, and it was absolutely fantastic! July 4th was the most fun I've ever had...and I was in Cozumel, Mexico!! I could write a million blogs about that trip; that's how wonderful it was. I was planning on dedicating this post to the cruise, but I've decided against that idea in order to write about a few other things.

Today's topics include: The Secret Life of the American Teenager episode (Season 2, Episode 2) and the Michael Jackson memorial service.

Michael Jackson's Memorial Service
Now, I know talking about Michael Jackson has gotten me a lot of negative feedback, but I swear I have nothing negative to say about him personally. I didn't plan on watching the memorial service, seeing as I was never a big fan of MJ. And to be honest, I didn't watch it at first, but after seeing that there was nothing else on TV tonight, I decided to turn on the re-run of it on VH1. From the way everyone was talking about it on twitter, I truthfully expected something better. The speeches are very heartfelt, but there are so many of them that I feel like I'm constantly hearing the same thing over and over again. And the performers, to me, are just mediocre. I think they got a lot of talent, but I don't see the talent in these performances. MJ was (and always will be) a musical genius, and I think some of these performances don't do him nearly enough justice. But the fact that all of these artists, Hollywood stars, athletes, fans, etc. came out to honor him is incredible. Putting his personal life and all of the scandals aside, I think he did incredible things during his 50 years of life. And through all of this, I try to remember THAT Michael Jackson. Back to his memorial. I think the best speech came from his daughter, Paris. I was SHOCKED that I got to see his daughter's face since he always hid his children from the media. For the first time, I saw the kids behind the "masks" (so to speak), and it made a lot of things more real. His kids were no longer just names in the tabloids or bodies with no faces...they're finally real people, and I got to see his daughter talk about how much she loved her father and how much she'll miss him. I wish that during his lifetime, I got to see more of that. I can't imagine what it must be like for his 3 children, and my heart goes out to them.

Secret Life of the American Teenager (Season 2, Episode 2)
Okay, so there's a bit of confusion as to whether this is season 2 or 3, but as far as I'm concerned, this is the 2nd season (and that's how I'll go about referring to it). This season has me torn so far. It's not as predictable as the first season, and that's what I love the most about it. What disappoints me, though, is that I feel like it's kind of "promoting" sex. When the show began, I thought that this show would discourage teenagers from having sex, but almost every single character on the show is having sex. What kind of message is that sending out? Of all the characters, I thought that at least Grace would be the one to say "no" and stand up for what she believes in. But in the first episode of the season, she gives in and haves sex with Jack (who she's been on and off with throughout the show). And her reasons for having sex aren't even reasonable ones. The characters on this show are 15-16 years old...and they're all having sex!!! Now, this episode (#2) seemed to drag on a little bit too much. We were told from the 1st episode that Grace felt like she was responsible for her father's death because she had sex, and to restate it throughout the ENTIRE 2nd episode wasn't all that necessary. It got to the point that hearing it made me extremely frustrated, and I wanted to go into the screen and tell Grace to just shut up already and that it's not her fault! I feel like the show has steered off it's tracks a bit, but I'm still looking forward to this season.

Time to watch one of the worst shows on television...Paris Hilton's My New BFF. Will that be one of tomorrow's topics? You'll just have to wait and see.

Until next time....

"Dream as if you'll live forever; Life as if you'll die today." ~James Dean

xoxo Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment